Hare Krsna, welcome!
Iskcon in the UK
Iskcon in Ireland
Iskcon UK Services
Articles and News
Page added on July 23, 2010
The local people thronged in their hundreds to visit the island retreat of Sri Sri Radha Govinda. It is not an annual pilgrimage as some years we are not geared up to host the event, but the Hare Krsna “open Day” still attracts many locals to take a cultural step in the direction of Krsna, and experience first hand the Hare Krsna Temple. There were several interesting facets to the day
1. We had three devotees, strategically in position to guide people in to the Temple Room and explain to them the significance of our Temple. The consensus was that there was a lot more questioning than before, people were much more open to the Deities and there was a deep interest in our explanations.
2. People are regularly coming back when we have these events and that they look forward to them. One person explained to the local newspaper that they had been here 20 years ago at a previous open day as a child and they very much appreciated that they could return now and take in the atmosphere again. The funny thing is that our Temple is open to the public 365 days per year, yet it is only on an open day that they think they can come, despite many endeavours to inform them of the contrary.
3. Despite the event being advertised til 6 o clock, many stayed on longer, enjoying the whole atmosphere, eating out on the lawn, chatting and chilling.
4. We had a relatively low entrance fee, and we provided them with bouncy castles for the kids, face painting, our kids put on a great Drama, we had mellow Bhajanas, Fire Yajna, constant kirtana in the Temple Room………..
5. One of the busiest places was our new Tulasi Garden, and one of the 3 appointed guides, Kalyani dasi, drifted out to the garden from the Temple Room, and she said she was beset with even more questions there, at one point there even being a queue for more info. Again the organic Garden, the bee hives and the lovely new Tulasi Garden wove their magic for Krsna to enchant these visiting souls.
6. Wherever and whenever you step on this island Krsna weaves a mystical magic, and you make advancement just by being here.
Preaching in rural Northern Ireland can be somewhat challenging, but we have stuck with it and slowly but surely we are making inroads into the people`s hearts. Low key, long term but Govindas’s beat goes on.
Vegetarianism, Retreats and more
Can a vegetarian diet improve or restore health?
Since the 1960s, scientists have suspected that a meat-based diet is somehow related to the development of arteriosclerosis and heart disease.
Lake Island Retreats
Discover your relationship with your body, mind and soul. Includes Yoga, meditation, massage options, walking and Eastern philosophy.
Hare Krishna Island
The island is 7 miles from Belturbet in north Co. Cavan and 7 miles from Lisnaskea in south Co. Fermanagh
Read IskconUK as a magazine
LATEST NEWS HEADLINES
ALSO IN THE NEWSUni to host conference marking fifty years of Hare Krishna Movement
On Saturday 23rd April, Bath Spa University will be hosting a conference to mark the first fifty years of the Hare Krishna Movement, also known as the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON). One of the movement’s leading gurus, His Holiness Bhakti Charu Swami, will be in attendance and there will be an opportunity to […]
MORE STORIESTOVP UK Tour reports, photos, videos
ADVERTISINGClick here to see advertised ISKCON projects and devotee business on this site
Vaishnava Calendar Reminder ServiceReminders sent to your email about upcoming events - Ekadasi, Festivals, etc. Click to subscribe.
MORE NEWS HEADLINES
Count per Day